Columbia, MD Restraining Order Attorney
Protecting You & Your Loved Ones
Restraining orders are known as peace orders or protective orders in Maryland.
If you have
suffered abuse from your spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend, a protective order issued by
the court can offer you legal protection. If you have been mistreated,
Tracy Miller Law, LLC can come alongside you and handle the legal aspects of your case, including
keeping your abuser from hurting you again.
How can I obtain a protective order?
You can file for a Domestic Violence Protective Order (DVPO) in any district
or circuit court in Maryland. If the clerk's office is open you can
file with them, otherwise, you can file with a District Court commissioner.
You should have on hand the following items as you begin the DVPO process:
- Pictures of any visible injuries and bruises
- Copies of any police reports
- Determine if anyone saw the abuse and ask them to testify on your behalf
- Talk to the police about filing criminal charges if you have not done so already
This will help ensure that you obtain the protective order you and your
loved ones need to have peace of mind.
What does a protective order do?
In essence, a protective order keeps your abuser away from you for a period
of time. Though an attorney is not required for you to obtain a DVPO,
it is highly recommended that you get legal advice before starting the
process so you are fully briefed on your options. Three types of protective
orders are available—interim, temporary, and final.
All types of protective orders can do any or all of the following:
- Order the abuser to not abuse or threaten you or anyone else
- Prohibit the abuser from contacting or harassing you
- Forbid the abuser from entering your home
- Keep your abuser from you and/or your children's place of work, school,
or temporary residence
- Order your abuser to leave your home if your name is on the lease or deed
if you have shared the home with the abuser at least 90 days
Don't Wait to Protect Yourself
Filing for a protective order can be a confusing and emotional ordeal.
For this reason you should obtain legal counsel from a qualified
Columbia, MD family law attorney. At Tracy Miller Law, LLC I can help you file the necessary paperwork
to keep you safe from your abuser so you can live your life free of anxiety.
Call me today so we can discuss your options or come talk with me in our Columbia, MD office.